Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Monday 12 September 2011

My version of the year 2010 in review - March(2)

March 20, 2010

 
The Japanese manufacturer of this car may not imagine that the boot can pack in a few passengers. These cars ply the route between Butiama and Kiabakari.

March 22, 2010
 

The Egumba Ngoma Group came back to Butiama, once again, to perform for a group of students from the University College of Los Angeles.

March 30, 2010


Hon. Nimrod Mkono with his constituency members.
I was riding in the car of Hon. Nimrod Mkono, our member of parliament, at Butiama on our way to the Butiama Hospital to wait for the arrival of the First Lady, Mama Salma Kikwete, when bystanders, having seen the MP, waived the driver to stop.

Hon. Mkono told his driver to stop the car and said, tongue-in-cheek, "It is an election year, the voters are the waheshimiwa [the honourables]. He mockingly gave each of them a shikamoo, a greeting normally given by a young person to an older person and we left.


The First Lady, Mama Salma Kikwete delivers her speech at Butiama Hosptal.
Mama Salma Kikwete visited Butiama Hospital and after delivering a speech donated hospital equipment.


With John Lukuwi, right.
With the First Lady's entourage was a friend of mine and press photographer, John Lukuwi. I first knew him as an employee of the Department of Information and had asked him to develop a copy of a photograph taken at one of Mbilia Bel and Tabu Ley's concerts in Dar es Salaam. When I told him I intended to ask Mbilia to autograph her photograph for me, Lukuwi made an extra copy that I carried to the old Kilimanjaro Hotel, knocked at her hotel room which was opened by Tabu Ley and I had the photos autographed by her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. My name is Carl de Souza. I'm the Chief Photographer for AFP in East Africa. I'm trying to contact John Lukuwi. Do you have a contact number and email for him?
Thanks

Carl.

Madaraka said...

Send me your email and I will fwd his phone number to you.