Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Tuesday 6 September 2011

My version of the year 2010 in review - January

In a series of posts beginning today, I share part of my collection of photographs taken during 2010.

Sometime in the middle of 2010 I transferred most of my digital photographs to an external hard disk with ample storage space, the 1000GB My Passport. The drive crashed towards the end of 2010 – or so I thought – and I could not retrieve the images.

A few weeks ago, My Passport ended its malfunctious [this is a new word, you won't find it in a dictionary] behaviour and all the files became accessible (except for the ones I accidentally deleted today). Except for today's mishap, I would have liked to say that the drive was exorcised.

So, here's 2010 for you.

January 5, 2010

I received a visitor from Mwanza, Kezia Aaron Nkanda, second from left, with her friends Jan and Tony Kemper from Wollongong, Australia. On one of those rare occasions, I, first on the left, stood in front of the camera.


The visitors later toured Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere's personal library which contains more than 8,000 books.

January 8, 2010
The library is an interesting stop for most visitors. This time it was Dick Nyongo, on the extreme right of the photo, below, who brought visitors to Butiama from 



Nairobi.

January 13, 2010


The next group of visitors were journalists including Mkinga Mkinga from the Citizen/Mwananchi, Orton Kiishweko from the Daily News, George Marato of ITV/Radio One (in dark suit in the picture, above), Mcharo Mrutu of Channel Ten, and Hamad Kitumbo of ITV.

January 14, 2010


I learnt a long time ago that in Zambia one of the greetings said in one of the local languages, Nyanja, is: Uli bwanji? Meaning: How are you? And so when I was told today's visitors were nuns from Zambia working at Kiabakari, near Butiama, I practiced hard and I think I managed to give a convincing greeting in Nyanja.

Occasionally, I meet the nuns at Musoma and I greet them with: Uli bwanji, sista? And it is always a huge surprise for them to hear that because they don't remember me from our meeting at Butiama.

January 19, 2010


Doctors from the Ocean Road Cancer Institute conducted a clinic at the Butiama Hospital as part of their campaign to combat breast cancer.


Doctors from the Ocean Road Cancer Institute
 They too visited Mwalimu Nyerere's library.

Posts related to this one:
http://madarakanyerere.blogspot.com/2012/09/anne-stolmar-visits-butiama.html
http://madarakanyerere.blogspot.com/2012/10/singida-choir-members-visit-butiama.html

No comments: