Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Saturday 10 September 2011

My version of the year 2010 in review - March

  March 1, 2010

 

I was driving to Musoma and when I passed a village called Sabasaba I noticed a labourer at the side of a fresh mound of earth parallel to the road. I asked, “Can I take your photograph?” He obliged, pretending he was actually working when, in reality, the work had been completed a while ago.

It was the National Optic Fiber Cable System on its way to Musoma. Someone told me then that broadband would be available in Musoma by July 2010.

Afterwards it was the turn of his co-labourers to ask: “Can we pose next to your
 



your car and take photos.” I obliged and they had a ball.

March 5, 2010
 

Every time I drive on the road there is an instance of careless driving. This time it was a truck offloading sand for road repairs on a section of the Mwanza – Musoma road near the Tarime/Sirari junction.

March 14, 2010
 

When I moved to an unused house at Butiama I found myself occupying a room with several snakes. When I checked the snake guide, I discovered these were the young of one of the most poisonous snakes in the world, the Black Mamba.
 

The Black Mamba grows to a length of up to 3.20 metres.
 

Of the Mamba, Bill Branch in A Photographic Guide to Snakes, Other Reptiles and Amphibians of East Africa writes: “When
 

disturbed, it rears the forebody, gapes widely, spreads a very narrow hood, and gives a hollow hiss. It is a warning best heeded!”
 

No comments: