Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Jim Whitney, the latest member of the Kilimanjaro Club


Jim Whitney, left, aims the camera at Jim Becket, right, during the last day of the climb.
The Kilimanjaro Club lists people I know who have scaled Mt. Kilimanjaro, including those who join me every year on the annual Mwalimu Nyerere/Mt. Kilimanjaro Charity Climb.

I am in awe of anyone who climbs Mt. Kilimanjaro with the additional task of carrying a video camera, limiting other tasks to only one hand, most of the time.

During my September 2011 climb of Mt. Kilimanjaro Jim Whitney carried a video camera and when most of us were concerned with negotiating the next obstacle, he had the additional task of finding a suitable spot for shooting a memorable scene.

He becomes the 12th member of the Kilimanjaro Club. The complete members’ list is:

1.       Markus Geiger
2.       Madaraka Nyerere*
3.       Le Huynh
4.       Gerald Hando
5.       Notburger Maskini
6.       Jaffar Idi Amin
7.       Mary Kalikawe
8.       William Rutta
9.       Jim Becket
10.   Andrea Wobmann
11.   Steve Kamau
12.   Jim Whitney

*I add my name in this post, having forgotten that I also belong to the Kilimanjaro Club.

No comments: