Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Tuesday 23 March 2010

Kilimanjaro, anyone?

This year, as for the past two years, I continue with my efforts to raise funds for charity through climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, Africa's highest mountain and the world's tallest free-standing mountain.

Images from the 2008 and 2009 climbs:
 
At the summit; you cannot stand higher on the African continent
 A partial view of Furtwangler Glacier, seen from Crater Camp
 Boulders along the route to Barranco Camp
 Mawenzi, Kilimanjaro's other peak, bears itself during last year's descent
Unique vegetation on Mt. Kilimanjaro

Kibo, just before sunset

Following the considerable publicity received during last year's climb I expect a larger number of climbers to join me this year. Because it is an election year, I will avoid scheduling the 8-day climb during the official election campaign period which runs from August to October. I therefore expect the climb to take place during the first week of November.

Some of the people who have told me they intend to climb Kilimanjaro this year to raise funds for charity (or just for the adventure) include:
  • Amrani Batenga, former Chairperson of Mwanza region's branch of Tanzania Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture (TCCIA), also a Mwanza-based businessman
  • Cutlatt Mazengo, who works at the National Insurance Corporation
  • Fred "Fredwaa" Fidelis, the radio presenter at Radio Free Africa in Mwanza
  • Gerald Hando, the radio presenter at Clouds FM who climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro with me last year and is Fredwaa's cousin
  • Imruh Bakari, a lecturer in Media, Film and Communication at King Alfred's College, Winchester, England
  • Jaffar Amin, the son of Idi Amin who visited me at Butiama in 2008 and was to join me last year, but could not
  • Khoti Kamanga, my lookalike and Senior Lecturer in Law at the University of Dar es Salaam
  • Makongoro, my brother and the ruling party's Chairperson for Mara Region, who has climbed Kilimanjaro in the past as part of his cadet training at the Monduli Military Academy
  • Matare, my cousin and businessman, who was to join me last year but could not
  • Mustapha, my friend from Nakuru, Kenya, who has continued sending messages of encouragement and has even called me during my past climbs
  • Nuru Inyangete, my cousin and renowned architect, who climbed Kilimanjaro while studying at Weruweru Secondary School many years ago and has recently decided she will climb the mountain again, probably prompted by the recent succesful climb of Kilimanjaro by her daughter
  • Phillip Kissanga from Austria who visited Tanzania last year and has climbed the Austrian Alps
  • Salum Mwaimu, journalist and television presenter at Dar es Salaam's Channel 10/DTV
  • And others who have yet to confirm
If you want to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro for charity or just for fun, please get in touch with me through the email address on my profile.

No comments: