Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Tuesday 2 February 2010

My version of the year 2009 in review - June

June 13, 2009

Many of Mwanza's residents live on small plots on the surrounding hills of the city of Mwanza. These hillside houses do not have proper drainage or sewage systems, although there have been plans to improve Mwanza's sewage system. When it rains it is said that the residents flush their pit latrine sewage systems with the rainwater that carries the waste into Lake Victoria.

June 17, 2009

I attended the funeral of Mzee Tito Budodi, a veteran politician from Mwanza associated with Tanganyika's independence movement. He was buried at his birthplace at the outskirts of the Mwanza.

The colours of the ruling party, Chama cha Mapinduzi, yellow, black, and green featured prominently at the funeral. At the funeral...

I met a someone who introduced himself as Mwalimu Katani (top, left) who insisted that I (top, centre) visit her mother (top, right) who he told me is the widow of an activist who was also involved in the independence struggle.

June 25, 2009

Just after driving past the small town of Ramadi on my way to Mwanza, I caught a glimpse on my rear-view mirror of an unusual phenomena for the area, haze. It gave an image of the industrial pollution that is common in large urban centres. The sunrise looked like a sunset.

No comments: