Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Friday 12 February 2010

My version of the year 2009 in review - September

September 2, 2009
Each time I travel to Dar es Salaam I get the impression I am in a foreign country. Last time it was a Lamborghini, this time I saw this stretch limousine parked near St. Peter's Cathedral.

September 7, 2009

From snakes in my room to bugs in my shoes, the bugs keep following me everywhere. I woke up in my room in Dar es Salaam to find a centipede in my boot, an incident that I found unusual for Dar es Salaam. I had a similar experience at Butiama which I felt appropriate because there is less concrete and more natural habitat at Butiama. The number of legs of the various species of centipedes can range from 20 to 300; its sting is painful and can produce an anaphylactic shock, an experience I have suffered from a bee sting and one which you would not want to experience.

September 19, 2009

On my drive back to Butiama with the big truck, I stopped at Chalinze to fix a puncture on the Tanzania-Zambia Highway, 90 kilometres from Dar es Salaam. After I used the urinal, I caught this "peeping cat" quietly observing me.

September 21, 2009

On my drive through the Serengeti National Park I crossed the Hippo pool with several Hippos in view.

September 22, 2009

After driving past Fort Ikoma, a giraffe crossed my path. This area has a large concentration of giraffes.

No comments: