Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Thursday 20 June 2013

My version of the year 2012 in review: 9 June

I was at the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro, Uhuru Peak, at 5,895m above mean sea level. With me, a group of climbers from Tanzania Development Support who I had joined to climb Africa's highest peak to raise money for a library and a community resource centre at Nyegina Secondary School.
At the summit: Jeannine Thurmaier and Prof. Kurt Thurmaier (Mama Anna and Baba Anna) from Tanzania Development Support take a short rest before beginning the trek back to Barafu Camp.
In a short period other climbers began to arrive at the summit. In the several occasions I have been to the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro I had never seen so many climbers at the summit.
A while later, Prof. Thurmaier (left) watched as another set of climbers from the Tanzania Development Support group approached the summit.
As we descended towards Barafu Camp, our next destination, I photographed a snow-laden path with Kilimanjaro's other summit, Mawenzi, in the background. I had never seen so much snow at the summit. For a brief few days, the effects of Global Warming disappeared from sight.

Other posts in this 2012 review series:
http://madarakanyerere.blogspot.com/2013/06/my-version-of-year-2012-in-review-7-june.html
http://madarakanyerere.blogspot.com/2013/06/my-version-of-year-2012-in-review-10.html

No comments: