Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Friday 9 March 2012

Picking (cheap) locks

A few days ago I woke up at a hotel and could not find the key of the padlock to my luggage.

Having seen and studied a few tricks from spy movies over the years, I decided to pick my own lock. And it worked. With a few twists and turns applied to an office pin I was reunited with my clean clothes, a toothbrush, and toothpaste.


Under different circumstances I would blame the manufacturers of cheap padlocks for imparting a false sense of security to buyers and for simplifying the work of thieves. In reality, we are told importers make a deliberate choice of importing cheap products rather than offer higher priced and more secure alternatives.

For the moment I am not blaming anyone for manufacturing or importing cheap padlocks. The passage of time might change that. A week perhaps?

1 comment:

helen said...

Lockpicking helps people to open locks without any damage and it could be considered as a useful tool for people. picking a lock is not an easy task.