Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Monday 18 March 2013

Thanks, TANESCO

I am at a barber shop in Mwanza, the California Salon, half-shaven, and the power has gone.

I thank TANESCO, the electric utility company, for reminding us about the near total dependence that humans have on energy. When I was young I and my other siblings used to visit a barber shop on Uhuru Street in Dar es Salaam where the barbers used manual clippers and scissors.
At the California Salon, Mwanza.
Modernity has brought the convenience of electric shavers and TANESCO reminds us that the old manual clippers remain indispensable.

The good news is that the power cut lasted only a few minutes.

The bad news is that Charles the barber has installed a television set in his barber shop and when the power was restored he resumed watching a nature documentary while continuing to shave me. In appropriate circumstances I would have called his action hitting two birds with one stone.

Post related to this one:
http://madarakanyerere.blogspot.com/2011/08/tasty-cakes-poor-service.html

No comments: