Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Wednesday 22 June 2011

The Serengeti saga: the conclusion

I arrived in Moshi last night, having failed to cross the Serengeti National Park by car for 23 US dolllars. Placing reliance on cars that may or may not pass through Ndabaka Gate, the western entrance to the Serengeti National Park, was like playing the lottery.

In the morning I decided to board a bus from Lamadi for Mwanza from where I took an afternoon flight to Mwanza. In the end I did not even see a single wild animal and paid much more than the 23 dollars I budgeted for. But I can still say I crossed the Serengeti - at 5000m above sea level.

And staying at Lamadi gave me an idea about writing a guidebook on budget travel. I stayed at the Nima Delux Guest House for 9,000 shillings (6 US dollars). At Mama Mniko's I ate a meal of rice, beans, and Balala fried fish for 1,300 shillings (0.86 US dollars). Bus fare to Mwanza 3,000 shillings (2 US dollars).


At Mama Mniko's where a plate of food sells for Shs.1,300/-.
Inside my room at Nima Delux Guest House.
Then the final expense item and a reminder that plans do not always unfold as expected, I paid 220,000 shillings (147 US dollars) for the flight from Mwanza to the Kilimanjaro International Airport.


Posts related to this one:
http://madarakanyerere.blogspot.com/2011/06/serengeti-crossing-not-yet-i-settle-for.html
http://madarakanyerere.blogspot.com/2011/06/through-serengeti-this-time-from.html

1 comment:

Urmila Jhaveri said...

Dear Madaraka , I am happy to hear that the Tanzanian Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism has announced at the UNESCO World Heritage Committee meeting that the proposed tarmac road which would have bisected the Serengeti National Park, jeopardising the world’s last great mammal migration, will not now be built.
That means you still have a a good chance for that trip across Serengeti at the cost of $23!Have a nice safari, Urmila Jhaveri
All the way from Noida -India.













t