Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Butiama Bed & Breakfast

Friday 31 December 2010

The Mwalimu Nyerere/Mt. Kilimanjaro Charity Climb 2010 (post 2 of 12)

This is the second of twelve posts on the December 2010 Mt. Kilimanjaro climb.
*******************************************************
Tuesday 30 November 2010
As soon I boarded a Nairobi-bound bus at Makutano on my way to Moshi, I was caught in a draft from the open bus windows and as I put on a jacket I realized I have forgotten to pack a heavy coat that is suitable for wearing at lower altitudes during the Kilimanjaro climb. I had a whole year to plan this year’s climb, and I forget crucial wear! I sent a text message home asking someone to find a way to send the raincoat and another jacket I left behind, and I settled into my seat for a comfortable ride to Nairobi and to Moshi. I wished.

It got worse.

After I sent the initial message I realized I have also forgotten a raincoat that is indispensable for climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro with the rainy season just about to start. I sent a second message.

The Nairobi route to Arusha is uneventful, but lengthy. I would like those who object to a better road through the Serengeti, as a comfortable alternative and shorter route for residents of Tanzania’s Mara region, to try the Nairobi option once in a while and reflect on why Mara residents prefer a better road through the Serengeti.

The route and the outcome: Makutano – Nairobi: approximately 6 hours; transit time at Nairobi: 7 hours; Nairobi – Moshi (9 hours, if the bus does not break down.) Unfortunately, the bus did break down, twice. On reaching the Arusha terminal, there was a delay of more than an hour while the bus underwent some repairs of a burst hydraulic pipe.

We resumed the trip towards Moshi and half an hour before reaching Moshi, the bus broke down again and I reflected on the company’s motto: Connecting East Africa. Not today, I thought. Not today.
 
The first breakdown at Arusha.
I got off the bus and hopped onto an Arusha – Moshi commuter bus and reached Moshi and checked into a modest clean hotel on the first floor of the building that has mountain climbing gear rental shop.

Next: In Mosh

Posts related to this one:
http://madarakanyerere.blogspot.com/2010/12/mwalimu-nyereremt-kilimanjaro-charity_28.html
http://madarakanyerere.blogspot.com/2011/01/mwalimu-nyereremt-kilimanjaro-charity_13.html

No comments: